Friday 19 February 2021

No. 58 - Anne of Green Gables

So, here we are again, in the depths of another national lockdown. I'd like to say I'd found myself turning to books for solace, for escapism and adventures with old friends, but sadly this has not been the case. I long to dally with Pooh and Piglet, and imagine I'm Miss Honey teaching the amazing Matilda, but alas.... Instead I have been very busy working, and trying my best to keep my creative juices flowing in my spare time. There really has been no time for reading! This lockdown feels very different to the last, where I lost myself in the pages of friends old and new, and sat sunning myself in the unusually warm April air listening to audiobooks. 

I suppose I'm trying to apologise to you, and to myself, for not getting on with this blog after such a good start last year. The blog is in it's 5th year now, and although I'm nearly half-way through the list, I feel like I've slowed down again. I'm going to try and change this! I will try and liven up the Instagram page more (@the.littlebookworm if you're interested), and maybe even try a few live readings, or Youtube clips if I'm feeling brave! I still have lots of ideas I want to share with you all, I just need to find the time! 

It's taken me a long time to get through it, but finally I have finished book number 58, Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery. 

How beautiful is this cover!?


Now, I know lots of people have fond memories of this book, and it appears again and again on lists of the best children's books, but I'll admit that I didn't enjoy this book. I found Anne a little annoying, and the tone of the writing somewhat patronising. But as I have said on many occasions whilst writing this blog, I never expected to like every book on the list! 

I'll start with a quick synopsis. Set in 19th century Canada, the story focuses on our heroine Anne Shirley. Orphaned Anne is sent to live with the dowdy Marilla Cuthbert and her brother Matthew. Anne is full of flights of fancy and imagination, quite a contrast to the straight talking, serious Cuthberts, in particular the matriarch Marilla. The story then follows Anne's new life in Avonlea, her schooling, her friendships, the ups and downs of growing up. It has all the hallmarks of the typical coming of age story; success through adversity, rags to riches, self-made success and determination. We see it time and time again in children's literature, though quite often the characters are boys. 

Instead, L M Montgomery follows in the footsteps of American author and children's literature VIP Louisa May Alcott. Like Alcott's March sisters, Anne is quite the character, with her very own set of opinions about life. She has her vices, much like Alcott's girls, in particular vanity! She is always wishing she was someone else, or her hair was a different colour, or her nose a different shape! Unlike Alcott's sisters however, I never really felt like Anne lost these traits, she remained just a little self-obsessed throughout the whole book! Even at the end, despite seeming selfless she gets her own way!

And it wasn't just her actions that I found hard to endure, but the way the book was written! I'm sorry, but I told you this book was a tough read! Anne talks way too much! And I mean waaaay too much! Most of the first part of the book is dialogue, just Anne chatting about everything and anything! I understand that this is meant to show her excitement about her new life, and her realisation that life will be good to her in Avonlea, but even so, sometimes you just need a break for breath! If I was a child reader I think this incessant chatter would be something I would struggle with and find a little overwhelming to read. For others, it may not bother them, after all it is part of creating Anne's character I suppose. But I personally found it a bit too much. 

The story itself bumbles along fairly predictably, with a new adventure in Anne's life in each chapter. She has some rather predictable domestic accidents, a few physical accidents, she worries about dresses, bosses people around, and is extra (as the kids say), about just about everything! 
 
When Montgomery wrote this book however, Anne was a radical character, forging her own path in a man's world. Through her own intelligence, hard work and determination, Anne becomes a teacher, one of the few accepted vocations available to women at the time. I think she would have got on with Jo March don't you? Of all Alcott's Little Women, Anne definitely reminded me most of Jo. She is feisty, fiercely intelligent, not scared to speak her mind and insanely aspirational and driven! I wonder whether this is purely coincidence, or was Montgomery inspired by Alcott's novel? 

If you like Little Women, then the chances are you will enjoy Anne of Green Gables, it is very much  part of that canon. Although I didn't personally like it, I can see how it would appeal to others, and how Anne's journey from a self-indulgent, orphaned fantasist, to a slightly less self-indulgent, successful, ambitious young lady has come to be an enduring classic. 

Thanks for reading, L x

Next up one of my absolute favourites, the wonderful Elmer, by David McKay!




No comments:

Post a Comment